A designer dog with two of the most popular parent breeds, the Maltipoo has surely made a big stand with a tiny paw print. First bred 20 to 30 years ago in the United States and gaining in worldwide popularity, the Maltipoo is a cross between the ever regal Maltese and the super intelligent Poodle. This little charmer is among those at the top of the elite designer dog list.
Did you know?
- Maltipoo’s even part of the same litter, can look very different from one another? They may even look the same or completely different from either of their parent breeds. The Maltipoo is generally very small, but their size, color, coat type, temperament, activity level, and overall health will vary depending on what that individual puppy has inherited from its parents.
- Their high intelligence and sweet and gentle temperament make them great therapy dogs.
- Though small in size, they are extremely active and require a diet that’s formulated specific for them. Make sure to consult your vet to see which food they recommend for your puppies needs.
- This dog was bred for companionship, so they make for a great travel buddy or a stay at home sidekick.
- Attention and affection are the two things that this breed craves more than anything. Spending time with their humans makes for a happy and obedient dog. A great pet for a first time pet owner or a family, the Maltipoo is strongly adaptable.
- Like most small dogs however, too much time alone can cause separation anxiety which can lead to excessive barking and possible destructive behavior. They tend to get bored easily so be sure to have safe toys and chews to keep them busy.
- These little packages of fluff and fur do not do well in extreme temperatures, regardless of which coat they inherited, so unless out for a daily stroll, it is best to keep them inside.
- Regular grooming appointments and clipping of the nails is important to keep their coats healthy. It also very important to brush their teeth at least once weekly, as the Maltipoo is prone to gum periodontal disease.
You can’t go wrong with this sweet little pup. It is said, that once you go Maltipoo you’ll always go Maltipoo! With the proper amount of daily exercise, a healthy diet and regular grooming maintenance -you can expect to share a long happy life with your Maltipoo. Learn more by visiting premierpups.com today!